You’ve found an site, blog or written article with some information that is valuable to you, but you wonder..
- How valued is this source?
- How known/popular is this source?
- Can I safely trust and cite this blog
- Check Digg.com and Del.ico.us. If blog, check technorati*
- Check Google pagerank (Alexa ranking uses dmoz? Other public traffic analytics: http://quantcast.com/ and http://siteanalytics.compete.com/ as mentioned on CrunchBase.com )
- Compare stats
- Check amount of backlinks (Google link:URL)
- TrackBack and PingBack have been refered to as a kind of internet currency.
- Check web credibility reports (internet score engine)
- Research the background of the author
*= Note the difference between Technorati Authority and Rank: Technorati Authority is the number of blogs linking to a website in the last six months. Technorati Rank is calculated based on how far you are from the top